Brewing, Licensed BusinessAlloa
Location Alloa Type Brewing, Licensed
Formerly the Maclays Thistle Brewery this building originally comprised of a separate office and grain store. Originally built in 1870 by James Maclay, the brewery ceased to operate in 1999 and our client acquired the premises several years later.
Substantial structural alterations were required to the old grain store and a new building was erected to link the 2 parts together which opens out onto a cobbled courtyard sheltered from the elements. The design and materials used reflects the tradition of the buildings brewing heritage.
Many items were salvaged from the building such as the sliding hops store doors which have been sympathetically used in the refurbishment. A glazed case en-route to the mezzanine level has been filled with the many bottles of ale recovered during the works.