Location Sauchieburn Type Home
The L plan tower was erected in 1541, fell into disrepair and was abandoned in the late 19th century remaining derelict until 2002. A conservation approach was adopted where little of the original structure was disturbed and new materials were sourced to match both in texture and colour.
Second hand Scottish slates and stone ridges were sourced locally to complete the replacement roof. The original scale-and-platt stone stair, long since removed was replaced by a second hand pencheck stone stair removed from a demolished property in Fife. Stone flag floors were replaced using Arbroath slabs sourced from a demolished mill in Dundee.
Evidence of early Dutch tiles within hearths were found and matching tiles sourced in Holland were introduced within many of the fireplaces to the upper floor chambers. All new upper floors were built with Douglas Fir timber beams and wide oak floorboards. Evidence existed of the original glazing checks to stone window jambs and lead glass windows with half shutter openings were re-introduced.